rss
email
twitter
facebook

February 11, 2013

Mark 1:1-13

The church I work at is journeying through Mark over the next 8 weeks.  We put the challenge out to our people to journal as they read through Mark.  We also provided some questions in the form of SOAP....Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer.  I figure since we challenged them, I should blog mine as an example to them.  Plus, it will help me stay on task with blogging.  So, here you go!

South's SOAP for the Day
S-Read Mark 1:1-13.
O-God was proud of Jesus, but the Spirit still tossed Jesus into the desert to be tempted right away. 
A-What will you do to help be ready for trials and temptations that can come at any time?
P-Pray for determination to resist temptation and strength to endure trials.

Being ready is an interesting concept.  We always hear, "You need to be ready."  I am ready for certain things.  I have a flashlight at the bottom of the basement steps, in case the power goes out, so I can find my way around.  I have jumper cables in my car and in my truck, in case it needs a jump.  When weather warnings are issued, like the recent snow storm, we make sure we are stocked up on essentials to get us through.

As I sit here and think, I'm surprised by the amount of things I am ready for in case something bad happens.  My car battery not working would be bad, and I'm prepared for it.  The lights going out would be bad, and I'm prepared for it.  But, what good things am I preparing for?  What things am I preparing for to help others?  I have jumper cables, so I could help someone else with battery issues, but really that is only by default because I have them ready for me.

As I look at the text more, and chew on this, I see that the word tempted could also be translated tested. When i think of tests, I think of having to be ready.  You don't (or shouldn't) go into a test not being ready.  How am I ready for anything in my spiritual life?  How am I ready if I'm going to be tested like Jesus was?  To be ready I need to be growing in my relationship with God.  I need to be learning more about Jesus and how he lived.  I need to be interacting with others on faith so I can learn from them.  This will help me be focused on what could happen..what should happen.  And in doing so, I'll also probably be ready for the bad stuff.

Lord, help me to be more engaged in growing myself with you.  Help me be more engaged in growing my family with you.  Help me be more engaged growing our church in you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment