rss
email
twitter
facebook

February 18, 2013

Mark 3:7-35

Look at me....getting a jump on tomorrow.

South's SOAP for the Day
S-Read Mark 3:7-35.
O-Jesus declares a familial bond with all who follow God’s will.
A-Does your life reflect one who follows God’s will? Why or why not?
P-Pray that you live like a brother or sister to your fellow Christians.

First observation.  In my 40+ years of life, I have never really drawn a huge crowd.  I have never had an evil spirit bow down to my authority.  I have never had enough followers that I had to pick twelve of the best to be my close followers.  Not that I think God is calling me to be those things.  Yet, I wonder what more should/could I be doing for the Kingdom.

Second observation.  I am a fairly protective parent.  Granted, my daughter is nine.  I honestly dread the day that I have to send her away to college or give her away as a bride.  Even then I'll want to protect her.  My wife and I have already told her that she's not allowed to date until she is at least 18.  I know, we are going to have issues....more our issues than her issues.

As I read the latter part of this passage, I put myself in the shoes of Jesus' family.  They have had him with them for 30 years.  He's done well at the family business.  Then, all of the sudden, he's off proclaiming the good news that the Kingdom of God has come near.  In a matter of moments there are crowds, healings, and evil spirits being sent packing.  Jesus is a viral movement.  If he had a twitter feed it would have blown up.  If I am his family, I wonder how much I know/understand of his divinity.  I'm sure Mary talked of his miracle birth and so on.  I know that he is something more than human.  But, when does it become too much?

In our last account in this passage, it becomes too much when the family hears that the crowd is so big that Jesus and his disciples cannot even eat.  My mind goes wandering in the story again.  Has the crowd surrounded the house so much that the food can't be brought in?  Or, are they simply so focused on engaging with Jesus that he and his disciples can't get a break?  At any rate, as a part of the family, I see the danger level rising.  I would want to intervene into the situation and save him, just like his family.

Yet, Jesus response does not surprise me.  He knows what he is here to do.  He's engaged in proclaiming the good news.  His response is, "Bring it on!"  Well.  Ok.  He didn't really say that.  No.  He says, "Who are my mother and my brothers?"  What?  Had I ever said that in the presence of my big brother, I would have paid for it.  But then, Jesus explains his point...those who are engaged in God's will are my mother and brothers.

This again, leads me to questions about my own life.  How am I engaged in God's will, proclaiming the good news of Jesus?  Am I engaged as much as I do this for a living, or would I be more engaged if I was doing this as volunteer?  What do I need to change to be more about proclaiming the good news and less about the business of doing ministry?  

Lord, help me have clarity in how I live my life.  May I be able to keep a balance of proclaiming and doing ministry.  May I be what you need me to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment