rss
email
twitter
facebook

February 13, 2013

Mark 1:29-45

Day three of journaling through Mark.  While it doesn't seem like that much of a challenge to be consistent with three day s of journaling, this is impressive for me.  We'll see if we make it to double digits without a hiccup.

South's SOAP for the Day
S-Read Mark 1:29-45.
O-Jesus ignored the sick and possessed to go elsewhere and preach.
A-How are some ways that you get focused on the little things (physical health) and the cost of the important things (spiritual health)?
P-Pray for the ability to focus on what is truly important in life.

If you know me, I am a detail type of guy.  I have a program on my computer that helps me stay focused on all the tasks I have to do for work, home, and so on.  I am the one in staff meetings at the church that asks a bazillion questions when we are talking about an event...all the little details and possibilities that my mind begins thinking about.  Needless to say, I can get lost in the details sometimes.

As Jesus begins his ministry with his disciples, he has a much bigger perspective than just one small town.  Again, put yourself in the crowd of people who are packed around Simon and Andrew's house. The whole town is there because of Jesus.  As you are there, and you see Jesus healing people, I am sure you are thinking in your head, who else do I know that needs healed?  Maybe its your cousin.  Maybe its a distant relative that lives in the next town over.

Yet, Jesus sneaks out in the calm of the morning to pray, with a bigger focus in mind.  He, the good news, isn't simply there for Simon and Andrew's town.  He's there to show that the Kingdom of God has come near and when it does, the world is changed.  The blind see.  The sick and fevered are healed.  Sins are forgiven.  The good news is bigger than just one town.

The thing that catches my attention the most in this passage is the back and forth between Jesus' presence making such a big commotion, yet Jesus continually quieting and holding back the viral nature of his presence.  The WHOLE town shows up at Simon and Andrew's house, yet Jesus tells the leper that he heals to not tell anyone about the whole thing.

My question is this...were the people in the story more caught up with the physical healing that Jesus was doing, or did they get the bigger picture that Jesus was the Holy One of God, the Messiah, the good news that the Kingdom of God had come near.

In all honesty, I think we as the church have it backwards sometimes.  We are so focused on our spirituality that we sometimes miss what we could do as the church, the Kingdom of God present now, for the sick, lonely, and hurting.  If we made it a both, and type of thing, I believe we would have a much greater impact.  We are on the right track....we simply need to do more.

Lord, help us to have open eyes and ears for those around us who need loved, need helped, need your grace and peace.  May we understand why you came, how you lived, and may we model it with our own lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment