rss
email
twitter
facebook

April 3, 2011

Full Tilt

The last few weeks have been insanely busy in my life.  This week was no exception.  Following worship last Sunday, Frank and I piled into a van with another one of our people here at South and headed to Atlanta, Georgia for the Drive Conference.  It was a great time away to see how others do church.  The drive home was not so memorable. Well, it is memorable, but only because it was highly painful.  We left at 1:00pm and got home at 4:00am.  We spent about two or three of those precious trip hours in traffic jams.  

The following day was spent taking care of everything I hadn't done the previous three days while away at Drive.  That included planning some worship and doing a audio video cast for the next day's Dave Ramsey Simulcast.  

Friday was the simulcast.  It was good.  The event went off without a hitch and it was good material.  But, I must admit.  By this time in the week, I was toast.  I hope I didn't show it too much.

Yesterday was another interesting day.  While away in Atlanta, our administrative assistant called and said another church needed to use our facility.  That's not a problem, we like to help out when we can.  We especially like to help Art Foster, a guy who used to go here who planted a church downtown.  He's a great guy.  So, I found myself again at the office yesterday running sound and stuff for the funeral.  
Being in ministry, you go or participate in a lot of funerals.  Some are joy filled.  Some are sad.  Some are downright miserable because of the tragedy that is staring you in the face.  Yet, in all the funerals I've been at, I've never attended an African American funeral.  Yesterday was my first, and it was an experience.  I don't have time to write about it now.  I'm still processing.  There were moments of beauty in it...and at times, complete pandemonium.  It was a beautiful thing.

Finally, today was no exception to the full tilt life I've had recently.  This morning was worship, followed by a party at the church for one of the kids of my bass player.  It was a good time of fellowship.  Then, I actually got to take a nap!  After which, I was off to church for a coffee house and a concert by Brian Carter.  It again, was a great time.  But, I'm pooped.

So, why am I telling you about my busy life.  I don't want sympathy.  This is the life I live.  Sometimes its a bit more than I would like, but it is what it is.  I am writing to say, that though I'm wiped, I am filled.  God has given me many different things to think about, chew on, and ingest this week.  Yeah, some of that was intentional because of the conference we attended and the simulcast we hosted on Friday.  But some of it was out of sheer grace, being put in a certain place and a certain time.  And, that is a good feeling when you notice it and soak it in.

Today in my morning life group, we were talking about the simple statement that the Holy Spirit has emotion and prays for us.  The idea that God is engaged in our lives moment by moment is something that I think we too often overlook.  Our self sufficiency unfortunately overpowers it.  As we talked, we kicked around things we could do or ways we could shake out of our routine and selfishness to listen for God around us and move in His way, not ours.  Living life at full tilt lately has helped me know that God is in control.  That He needs to be in control.  Its a scary and humbling thought, but it carries much power and hope.

Lord, may I learn to continually live life under your spirit's direction.  Open my eyes and ears so I can see you and move in Your Way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment