rss
email
twitter
facebook

August 19, 2010

Running

Do you ever have moments in your life where you are doing something and you realize that you have become your parents incarnate?  The horror of who you have become rushes over you at that moment, and rewrites reality.  I had one of those moments recently.

When I was young, workouts and gyms were really for those trying to become Arnold (I'll be back!), or those who had lots of $$.  My family fit neither of these categories.  It wasn't in our culture.  The closest thing to workouts at that time for me was playing basketball in 7th through 9th grade and knowing that my cousin, Cathy, was a jazzercise instructor.  Come to think of it, she was really the only one in our family who was really nutty about working out and eating healthy.  But that's not the point of this post.

The point of this post is this - when I was young, I used to think that my parents ran funny.  I remember running around acting like an Olympic champion or playing football thinking I would one day become a star.  Running felt natural.  It felt like I was doing it right.  You know how that goes, in your head you do something and it feels like you are doing it exactly like the pros do.  As you see yourself do it in your mind, you look just like the pros!  This is at least how my brain interprets/compares what am physically doing to the rest of the world.

With that as the backdrop of my young, preteen mind, I remember watching my parents run and thinking, "Wow!  They run funny."  Not funny, ha ha, but funny in a weird sort of way, like they've never watched someone run before and their brains don't know what it is supposed to look or feel like.  They ran like they were old.

If you were to come to the church and watch me walk/run, I think you would have the same thoughts that I did as a little child as you watched me go round and round in the sanctinasium.  He runs like he is old, like he has never ran before.  

I have become my parents yet again.  However, someday soon I'll be running like an Olympic star.

0 comments:

Post a Comment