rss
email
twitter
facebook

July 18, 2012

The Passing of Time

I can remember writing a post a year or so ago about wanting to blog every day and hone my writing.  That never came to fruition.  Shocker.

Then I posted at the beginning of this year wondering if things would be different.  Not so much.

So, here it is, the middle of July.  Time seems to move at such a rapid pace.  Hannah has already made it through 3 years of school.  She's only a year and a half from turning double digits.  Last month I worked by bazillionth week of church camp, marking at least 21 years in a row that I've done some sort of camp.  During the first week of camp I ever worked back in 1990, the students thought I was older than I was.  The students nowadays don't have that trouble.  I'm old.  I look old.  I walk like I'm old.  I sometimes act like I don't want to be old, but it is easily spotted.  Who knows, I probably even smell old.

While time is moving quickly, life is still good.  It seems to grow richer with each day.  I do miss the times of old where life was more simple.  I think of the simple life growing up, spending time at my grandmother's house mowing her yard, swimming in her lake, and enjoying the many, many good things she made to eat like lemon bars (this memory is here because I had a lemon bar today at the coffee shop.  Certainly not as good as Gram's, but at least it brought the memories back).  I think I cherish the now more than the past.  I'm in the creative spot making memories for my daughter, for us as a family, for those that I minister to.  Yes, it is good to enjoy.  But, it is even better to create for others and enjoy with them.

Seth Godin, in his book, Linchpin, would call this "making art".  Art is what your passion and soul need and want to create.  Its what wakes you in the morning and keeps you up at night.  Its the thing that makes your heart sing and your soul the fullest.  Its what you do whether you get paid for it or not.  Its not about money.  Its about making art and then giving it away as a gift to others.

I think he has it right.  Life isn't about me or about how fast time is moving.  Its about me making life more full for those around me.

1 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Don't worry friend. I'll let you know when you start smelling old.

Post a Comment