rss
email
twitter
facebook

August 21, 2011

Could Anything Else Go Wrong?

Today during worship, we had a few hiccups.  It all started with me missing one of the verses of the song, Great Is the Lord Almighty.  Actually, I started singing verse two instead of verse 1.  Obviously, I could have went back and sang verse one after we sang verse two.  But, it wouldn't have been right, singing about Jericho before singing about God bringing Israel through the Red Sea.  So, I stopped the song about half way through verse two and started over.  I should have known that wouldn't be all that would happen.

A few songs later was special music.  During rehearsal we had done the song, The Beauty of the Cross, flawlessly three times.  It was perfect.  However, when we started it during our offering time, something wasn't right.  Either I was in the wrong key or someone else was off.  That, in turn threw off our soloist.  I don't think we recovered well, even though we pushed through.

Then, on the next song, I broke a guitar string.  Granted, I'm known for breaking guitar strings every once in awhile.  This time, it was frustrating, though, since the strings on my guitar are only two days old.

Needless to say, I was ready to step off the stage for Frank to preach.  When I sat down beside my wife, Stephanie, I leaned over and said, "did everything sound as bad as it felt like it went this morning?"  Her response was, "It was shaky.  You should have said something like, 'even though things have not went as we wanted, God still finds worth in our praise.'"

God wants us to worship Him with everything we are.  He wants us to do the best we can all the time.  But, I think He knows that we aren't always going to be perfect.  Because we are His children, I think He understands that at times, we are going to be off key or that a string is going to break.  I think it gives Him joy just like a play put on by elementary age kids would bring joy to those that are there watching.  Its a different kind of joy.  A joy that's not based on super-human ability.  Rather, a joy that is full of love, hope, and humility.

0 comments:

Post a Comment