rss
email
twitter
facebook

January 18, 2011

Another Birthday

When I was young, I always felt like time took forever to pass.  Days seemed like weeks, and weeks seemed like years.  Maybe its because there was so much anticipation for what was coming next - the new experience that was right around the corner.  One specific that I remember was the Friday/Saturday routine I had.  I would watch The Dukes of Hazzard and then go to bed, hoping I would fall asleep as quickly as I could and that the time I spent sleeping would seem like nothing so I could get up and watch cartoons the next morning.

Time moves too quickly now.  I want to slow it down and savor every day and every moment longer.  Not because I am afraid of what is to come, but because I want to enjoy those who God has put around me and revel in the friendships and love that I share with them.  But, for some reason, time continues to pass, day by day, moment by moment. 

As I type those words, I come face to face with the realization that I need to do better at spending time with people since I cannot slow down time.  

My daughter turns seven today.  A few short moments ago I was cradling her in my lap listening to her coo and squeak, mesmerized by everything about her and unable to focus on anything else. While I am still totally mesmerized today, there are times when I'll catch myself too focused on other things to pay attention to the never ending singing, playing, dancing, and so on that continually pours out of her being.  Those are the things I can't get back. . . the things I need to seek out more and savor as much as I can now, especially since she'll only be seven for one year.  And the way the years are flying by, the next thing I know, she'll all grown up.

Happy Birthday, Hannah Grace!  You are crazy and beautiful!  You are my treasure and my joy, just like your momma.  I love you with everything I am!

4 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Squeeze that beautiful girl for us and tell her that our whole family says Happy Birthday! We love your whole family and are thankful for the many years of serving together and friendship we have shared. You are a blessing to us and we are so thankful you guys have Miss Hannah. She's a total nut and that might very well be what we like the most!! :) Tom, Jill, Abby and Emily

Anonymous said...

My question is......when is Hannah going to get a little brother or sister? Bill Cosby is right, you are not real parents until you have at least 2 children. And all of them after the first are loved just as much and are just as much joy.

Is there another baby in the future sometime???

Bill Wagner

Wally said...

Bill,

Its not for a lack of want or trying. For some reason, God is not putting that in the cards right now.

Peace!
Wally

Post a Comment