rss
email
twitter
facebook

April 9, 2008

Home Ownership Week 2--Cramps

Well. Much has been going on at the new house. We've been finishing drywall, doing some plumbing adjustments, ordering kitchen cabinets, countertops and so on, and trying to keep up on all the dust that I have made. Things are moving rapidly and will continue to do so. This weekend my brother and his family come into town again to help with the remodeling festivities. Pray that we continue to be productive.

One of the residual effects of buying a house is cramps. Not girl cramps or anything of the sort. For me, the cramps come in my hands. For a living, I drive a desk. i type things, I plan, I play the guitar, I read and study. It is not a physically challenging position. My brother calls me a desk jockey. With the purchase of a house comes work that is done with one's hands. I enjoy such work. I look forward to it. Sometimes I even long for it. It is relaxing to me.

However, after working hard the last few weeks at the new house, my hands and forearms are nothing but cramps and pains. Even as I sit here and type this blog, there is pain. My left hand seems to be trembling a little. All because my muscles are experiencing things they haven't for such a long time. These are good pains. Growing pains. Pains of strength and determination. Pains for the coming of new life, hope, and what is to come. But, pain, nonetheless.

The biggest challenge with the cramps has been leading worship. During rehearsal this past Sunday, I began to experience excruciating torment in the fatty part of my palm below my thumb. It felt like the worst charlie horse in the world, yet it didn't fade away. As long as I was trying to hold my pick for playing my guitar in my hand, it was there, letting me know that I'm a desk jockey. It was a good bad feeling. Good, because I'm growing through this and strengthening my physical body--a good feeling for a desk jockey. Yet, bad because we're only at the beginning of this renovation. There is much more work to do and many more days of cramps and pain.

Life is like that. It is easy to sit still and do what you need to do. it can be a painless thing. Yet, if you try to move forward and do something new, you will certainly experience pain, albeit good pain. I know that I struggle when I try to change. Adding exercise to my routine is a challenge. Changing eating habits is a challenge. Why, because it means some sort of pain will be coming my way. It will be good pain, but it means change.

Why is it that we always run from what will be good for us and make us better? Why in our spiritual lives to we not endure the cramps and pain to move closer to God? Is it because we don't like pain? Or is it because we don't like surrender?

My new house is making me surrender and making me grow. No pain, no gain. I know, that's cheesy. Cheesy, but true.

Here's one thing that makes the work less painful, more enjoyable, and highly important:



























So rough and tough, yet so precious and wonderful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment