rss
email
twitter
facebook

November 24, 2007

Home

My girls and I arrived home last night from being gone to Ohio for Thanksgiving. We love our families dearly and enjoy our times with them. But, we really like home. Last night when we crossed the state line from Ohio to Michigan, there was a calm in the car. Maybe it was because we were 3/4 of the way done with a 4 1/2 hour trip with an almost 4 year old in the car. Maybe it was the fact that the speed limit is 5 mph faster. Maybe it was that we'd been away for five days.

All I know
is that there is something special about home. There's something special about the feel of your own bed. There's something special about the easy chair Steph and I share after Hannah goes to bed. There's something special about knowing where to set the shower pressure to get the right temperature and pressure without any fuss.

Don't get me wrong, there's also something special and nostalgic about driving the last two miles to my childhood home--the hills, Varian's Apple Barrel and Orchard, and the winding roads that I used to drive so fast on. But that's not home for me anymore. Home is here with my girls, laughing a playing on the living room floor, enjoying one another to the fullest that we can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment