rss
email
twitter
facebook

November 19, 2007

Gettysburg Address

Many of my friends know that I'm not the most patriotic of people. I do respect and love our country and the freedoms it has given me. My main reaction to patriotism comes from how all too often the church's patriotism seems to exceed it's commitment to Christ. We can get riled about current affairs and how our government is "slighting" our faith through banning the 10 commandments or whatever. We can argue about flags on a worship platform. Yet, we struggle to have passion for what I believe are more important things like making our people more like Christ. I don't think Jesus would care whether the 10 commandments are hung on the walls of a courtroom or that public prayer was not a part of schools. I think he would be more concerned with how his people are living out their faith and being light and salt in those places.

All that aside, for this post is not intended to be a rant, today is the 144th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. A few years ago I created a visual presentation for a memorial day service here at South. Making sure to be Christian before being American, I wanted to find something that was appropriate for our worship time to remember where we have come from in our faith here in this nation. As I researched, I spent some time with Lincoln's address in Gettysburg. In such a brief speech, Lincoln brilliantly captures the essence of where we've come from, who we are, and what we need to become.

Take a moment this morning and go to this site, Gettysburg Address. Listen to the Jeff Bridges version and then spend some time praying for our nation. Pray that we as a people would learn again what it means to be humble. Also pray for the body of Christ. Pray that we would be a people concerned about living out our faith, being who Christ called us to be. Pray that we will have the courage to love our brothers, our neighbors, and our enemies, humbling ourselves and putting their needs before ours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment