rss
email
twitter
facebook

November 17, 2007

Bedtime Songs

Last night we were out late--we went to Silver Bells in the City here in Lansing (which will some day be a whole other post) and to a party that was being thrown by one of our couples here at South. When we got home, I needed to run to the church to set up the movie projector for the Jr. Highers who were having a lock in. This meant that momma got the bedtime routine. As I walked out the door I told Hannah, "momma's going to do the bedtime routine, I'll sing with you when I get back from the church."

When I returned home, she was already out cold. So, I kissed her on the forehead and went to bed.

This morning at 6:00am or so, Hannah started calling out for me in her cute, just woke up, almost 4 year old voice. "Papa . . . papa." When I went into her room, I figured she needed to use the bathroom. That was not the case. When I asked her what was wrong, she responded with, "why didn't you sing songs to me?" Why didn't you sing songs to me? Why in the world are you waking up at 6:00am on a Saturday to ask me why I didn't sing songs to you last night? How is it that you wake up 7 hours later and remember what I was supposed to do?

The ability of her little mind is amazing to me. She remembers almost everything. She'll be able to recount things that happened 3 or 4 months ago like they happened two minutes ago. She remembers names better than I do (which, I guess isn't saying that much). She remembers specifically where momma puts her favorite toys. She remembers which story books she likes. She remembers where we are as we flip through the Bible we're reading before bed.


As I sit here and think through it all and think about what I want to write, my mind asks the question, "why do you care that I didn't sing to you at this hour?". The answer--because its important to her, even to the point of waking me up at 6:00am.

Thank you for the lessons Lord . . . again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment